Pre-departure count down-17 day: Cook Straight is 100x wider than Johor Straight!?

After some researches and surfing on the Internet, I've drafted a rough plan for the transportation means to cross between North and South Islands. Turned out, the distance between North island (Wellington) to South (Picton) wasn't as short as I thought (I really thought it was about the same to cross from JB to Singapore via Causeway Bridge, well, or further than that like the Second Link). It was 92 friggin' km, ok!!! What was I thinking! And the more shocking part would be the cost to cross over the islands: either by flight or ferry. And both cost more than NZ$100+ each leg!

I frantically searched for the cheapest way (swim across was definitely not an option by now). Thank God (or perhaps I should thank the Almighty Internet instead) I stumbled over a forum where someone posted a topic about the best way to cross over the islands. Apart from what I had already learnt from my own research, I came across another precious information about this website. They fly passengers across the islands in those excitingly small craft 8 times a day between wellington and picton, for as low as $69/$59 (early bird price)!!! I must say this information is Godsend for budget backpackers like us!!

So here's what I found useful for our trip planning so far:

1. Cheap Ticket from Singapore to New Zealand:
Royal Brunei Airline, lowest tax and chargest among other airlines that fly to NZ, because the transit is in Brunei.
Tips:
Get a 30-day rather than 60-day or 1-yr open ticket and save yourself at least S$2o0+.
Fly to Auckland is always cheaper than other destinations in NZ.
I got mine from www.zuji.com for S$824 nett per person, from Singapore to Auckland.

2. Cheap transport from Auckland to Wellington:
By intercity coach for as low as NZ$10
Hitch hiking, it's legal in NZ, some useful information on this can be found here

3. Cheap transportation to cross between North and South Islands:
http://www.soundsair.com

4. Free farmstay program: World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms (wwoof)
http://www.wwoof.co.nz/

5. Backpacking checklist:
http://backpackinglife.com/backpacking-checklist.html

Comments

Popular Posts